Tuesday 25 October 2011

Thing 23 - Reflection - What next?

The process of completing a Personal Development Plan (PDP) is not new to me, as it forms part of the yearly appraisal process.


As specified in previous posts, the gaps in my experience centre around professional duties, such as delivering information skills sessions, cataloguing and classification, departmental liaison and attending professional level meetings.

Filling those gaps is not always easy, but I'm hoping to do some volunteering at another library to fill the cataloguing gap.

In 2012 my single subject library is changing its book stock from National Library of Medicine classification to Dewey Decimal Classification prior to a merger with a multidisciplinary library.  I'm hoping to be involved with some of the reclassification to fill that skill gap.
I've also arranged an extended shadowing programme whereby I will work with professional librarians to gain experience and knowledge of academic liaison and have the opportunity to attend library meetings.

I think the PDP is a useful exercise to complete, as it makes you realise what your development needs are, and think of practical solutions to gaps in your skills set.

When I started cpd23 I don't know what I was expecting to achieve. I think I was interested in learning about new technologies, but I was also hoping to be part of a wider community of library people, all sharing the same experiences. I feel that I know more about the various Things discussed, but I'm not sure I feel part of a community. I think the programme was a really good idea, and I have enjoyed taking part. I'm just disappointed at the number of people who didn't continue with it. I suppose that is to be expected, bearing in mind the length of the programme and the time needed to investigate, evaluate and blog about the Things. A lot of people probably couldn't spare the time to take part.


I will try and continue blogging, now that I have more than 3 published posts under my belt, but I don't think I'll be able to do it as regularly without the impetus of 23 Things!

No comments: