Friday 30 September 2011

Thing 18: Jing / screen capture / podcasts

Now, I haven't downloaded Jing yet, have to do that on my laptop, but I have played with Screencast-o-matic, which I love.  Free, online, no download, simple to use.

I made a video for my colleague demonstrating how to assign a Passcode to a user, which she loved.  I can see quite a lot of uses for this, both for training colleagues and students.  I'm quite a visual person, and I find that screenshots can help you understand a procedure much better than just instructions.

I've never really been one for Podcasts.  I have downloaded some podcasts, and I understand the point of them, but I tend to tune out when listening to things, so they're not really my cup of tea.  Perhaps we've moved on from podcasts - they were all the rage a few years ago, due in no small part to the iPod, but I think that video creation tools are now so good and easy to use that people will be able to livestream or download short videos as easily as they can a podcast.

1 comment:

3goodrats said...

I agree with you about the podcasts - I'm not great at listening either, but I also don't understand why you wouldn't just make a video. Do people still even listen to podcasts?